Militar de San Diego
Abogado de negligencia médica

Active-duty members of the military and veterans typically have easy access to medical care when they need it as one of the benefits of their service. Every US military installation in the world provides medical care to active-duty service members, and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has medical offices and hospitals throughout the country. Unfortunately, many service members have historically felt very restricted regarding what they can expect from military medical services. Until recently, they had no means of legal recourse if they experienced injuries from negligencia médica.

President Donald J. Trump signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act in December 2019. It allows active-duty military personnel and their families to file medical malpractice claims for injuries or deaths related to the medical negligence of military medical providers. To date, active-duty members of the military were barred from filing such legal claims (under the Feres Doctrine).

Responsabilidad del gobierno por negligencia médica

La nueva ley otorga a los militares derechos legales significativos que previamente les fueron retenidos; sin embargo, la nueva legislación aún tiene limitaciones sustanciales. Por ejemplo, un miembro militar no puede presentar un reclamo por negligencia médica por ninguna lesión médica en una zona de combate y los miembros militares aún no pueden demandar por negligencia médica en un tribunal federal. Todas las demandas por negligencia médica militar deben ser adjudicadas administrativamente.

All claims under $100,000 would be paid directly to the active-duty military member or their families if the military member died as a result of medical malpractice. If the claim is more than $100,000, the Treasury Department will independently review it.

While the legal rights granted by this law enable military members to seek legal recourse for injuries from medical negligence, navigating the legal mechanics required for these claims can be incredibly challenging. Instead of trying to manage the legal red tape your military medical malpractice claim entails, have an experienced attorney handle your case on your behalf. The team at Kenneth M. Sigelman & Associates has carefully reviewed the National Defense Authorization Act as it pertains to military medical malpractice claims, and we are prepared to represent you in your case.

Construyendo un fuerte caso de negligencia médica militar

En algunos casos, los casos de negligencia médica militar son aún más desafiantes que los casos de negligencia médica contra médicos privados. La legislación es nueva y, por lo tanto, la ley está en constante evolución y es un desafío legal. Finalmente, una víctima debe probar que sufrió lesiones como resultado directo del profesional médico militar que actuó con negligencia. Nuestro equipo legal está especialmente calificado para manejar casos de negligencia médica militar y está compuesto no solo por abogados experimentados, sino también por médicos con licencia que tienen un profundo conocimiento de la medicina y pueden construir un fuerte caso de negligencia médica militar en su nombre.

Every medical malpractice claim filed in the US revolves around the standard of care for the patient’s situation. The “standard of care” refers to the level of treatment a patient’s condition requires. All medical providers, both military and civilian, are required to use a differential diagnosis process to accurately assess their patient’s condition, and they must use approved effective treatments. Suppose a doctor has reason to believe the standard treatments usually accepted for their patient’s condition are unsuitable for any reason. In that case, they must have reasonable justification to step outside the standard of care. If they do, they must do so very carefully and only with the patient’s fully informed consent.

Fecha límite para presentar un reclamo

Si es víctima de negligencia médica militar, tiene dos años a partir de la fecha de su lesión para presentar un reclamo y recibir una compensación por sus pérdidas y daños. Sin embargo, como esta es una nueva ley, la legislación también permite que cualquier víctima que haya sufrido lesiones desde 2017 presente una demanda para recibir justicia.

Navigating any new law that applies retroactively is typically difficult. Your military medical malpractice claim is likely to entail strict procedural requirements that you must accurately navigate to succeed with your claim. The two-year statute of limitations may seem generous, but it is crucial to start working on your case as soon as possible with the help of a San Diego military medical malpractice attorney.

FAQs

Q: What Is an Example of Medical Malpractice?

UNA: Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional fails to meet the standard of care for a patient or causes injury due to incompetent or incorrectly performed treatment. One of the most commonly reported examples of medical malpractice is a diagnostic error. Failure to accurately diagnose a patient or diagnose them in a timely fashion can cause their condition to worsen. It’s also possible for misdiagnosis to lead to improper treatment that ultimately harms the patient.

Q: What Are the Four Elements of Medical Malpractice?

UNA: The four elements of medical malpractice include:

  1. Duty of care. This is the responsibility the medical professional owes to their patient.
  2. Dereliction of duty. This element applies to the mistake or improper conduct of the medical professional in question.
  3. Damages. The plaintiff only has a claim if they suffered measurable harm from the medical provider’s dereliction of duty.
  4. Direct causation. The plaintiff must prove their claimed damages are the direct results of the defendant’s dereliction of duty.

Q: What Percentage of Medical Malpractice Lawsuits Are Won?

UNA: The likelihood of winning a medical malpractice case hinges on the strength of the plaintiff’s evidence. With weak evidence, a plaintiff may have only a 20% chance of winning or about 30% in “toss-up” cases. However, when a plaintiff has strong evidence, the chances of winning their case increase significantly, typically to more than 50%. Your military medical malpractice lawyer can help you determine the strength of your evidence and the likelihood of success with your claim.

Q: Can You Sue the Military for Medical Malpractice?

UNA: Filing a medical malpractice claim against a military doctor is technically a lawsuit, but the process will unfold very differently from a privately filed medical malpractice claim. You should consult with a San Diego military medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible to learn more about how your claim is likely to unfold.

Q: How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Claim Against the Military?

UNA: Military medical malpractice claims now allowed by the National Defense Authorization Act of 2019 must be administratively adjudicated. Each branch of military service has a unique process for handling military medical malpractice claims. For example, members of the Army would file their claims with their nearest Judge Advocate General Office, and members of the Air Force file claims through the nearest Office of the Staff Judge Advocate.

Póngase en contacto con un abogado con experiencia en negligencia médica

Esta nueva legislación es importante ya que despeja el camino para la justicia para los miembros del ejército que han sido víctimas de atención médica negligente. Hay pocos abogados practicantes de negligencia médica que también sean médicos. Ken Sigelman, JD, MD, es un médico con licencia para practicar leyes en California y Florida y ante la Corte Suprema de los Estados Unidos. Durante más de 20 años, el Dr. Sigelman, un abogado litigante galardonado, ha tenido un historial excepcional de veredictos, acuerdos y laudos arbitrales. Si sufrió alguna lesión como resultado de negligencia médica militar, comuníquese con nuestros abogados experimentados y compasivos al 866-971-8956 o en línea hoy para una consulta gratuita.

que hacemos

Conoce a nuestros abogados

Ken Sigelman JD, MD y sus compañeros abogados en Kenneth M. Sigelman and Associates son expertos en negligencia médica, y aportan ese conocimiento a los casos relacionados con la Ley Federal de Reclamaciones por Agravios para ayudarlo a obtener la compensación que necesita.

KENNETH M. SIGELMAN

ABOGADO

ANDREW R. CHIVINSKI

ABOGADO

MARK BIRMINGHAM

ABOGADO

CITA PARA
Consulta gratis

La ley es un asunto complicado. Te puede causar un gran problema. ¡Dejanos ayudarte!

  • Este campo tiene fines de validación y no debe modificarse.